Making the Maven Episode 105:
How Many Customers Does It Take to Grow a Six Figure Business?
Jason Van Orden has been an online marketer for the last 13 years and has launched over 60 online courses, has 7,000 students, and has done $7 million in revenue. On the show, Jason discusses where online marketing is going, how to grow your email list where you can successfully grow a 6-figure business, and how he ‘overcame’ imposter syndrome.
Key Insights & Aha Moments
First things first, is Jason still in a band?
Truth be told, Jason had no idea he’d end up as an entrepreneur.
Why did Jason quit his job cold turkey?
Do you have the confidence in yourself to rise to the occasion and figure it out when things go wrong?
How much does mindset play into Jason’s day-to-day life?
Despite the amount of success Jason has received, when he tried to start something new, he had impostor syndrome.
When it comes to online marketing, how does a total newbie get into this field?
With the popularization of the internet, more people are able to show up and be seen. The gatekeepers have essentially been removed.
If we depend only on those blockbuster #1 sellers, they are only capable of solving a fraction of the world’s problems. This is why the world needs small businesses and people like you.
If you have 3,000 people on your email list, you are able to tap into a six-figure business.
*How does someone first grow their list to 3,000 people?
Jason stays connected with his community by having zoom chats with them. This allows him to understand his target audience a lot better.
Is it possible for you to be too niche or too targeted?
Show up consistently and results will start snowballing for you.
Making the Maven Episode 104:
Creating a People Business in a Tech Business
Gavin Zuchlinski is the Founder of Acuity Scheduling for the last 11 years. Acuity is an online appointment scheduling software. He originally created the product for his mother who was just bombarded with client appointments the manual way. On today’s show, Gavin discusses the very human aspect to his tech business. Gavin is hyper customer-focused and whenever he has to bring more people on as his company grows, he feels slightly guilty! He believes a small company can best serve their customers and make that experience very personal.
Key Insights & Aha Moments
Don’t forget to join the free Facebook community!
Gavin created Acuity for his mother, who is a massage therapist.
What kind of things did Gavin ‘invent’ when he was a young child?
Did Gavin grow up with a lot of ‘woo-woo’ in his life?
Gavin’s product is the perfect product for a wellness practitioner.
When did Gavin take the leap from having Acuity as a side hustle to making it a full-time job?
Gavin was heavily into Buddhism when he was in high school and college and that has really influenced him on how he conducts his business.
Gavin prides himself on having not just good customer service, but a good customer experience, as well, for his product.
The Acuity social media page is filled with puppies and kittens.
Fun fact: I have four cats.
How did Gavin grow from geeky/tech guy to a leader?
Gavin always has personal struggles when he hires new people. He wants to keep the company small and personal.
Making the Maven Episode 101: What Does That ‘Yes’ Really Cost You?
Lisa Mitchell is the premier Indianapolis-based communications expert specializing in Body Language and Nonverbal Skills training. Lisa started her career in corporate, but she quickly burned herself out of it by saying yes to too many things. She did not set boundaries for herself and one day, she just couldn’t take it anymore. In retrospect, it was one of the best lessons she could have learned for herself. Although Lisa is a people pleaser, every ‘yes,’ every opportunity out there has its costs, and you must be very careful as to what those are and how they will affect you long term.
Key Insights & Aha Moments:
*Who is Lisa and what is her purpose in life?
*I have a gift for you! A new workshop is available on my website and it’s free!
*As a body language expert, Lisa has had quite an interesting career journey how she got here.
*Lisa burned herself out so fast that she left everything behind, including her husband at the time.
*Lisa has learned now that she did not set appropriate boundaries. She let other people push her around, and one day she just couldn’t do it anymore.
*Opportunities are not free. As Lisa was saying yes to more and more things, she was not considering the other, more important things that she was giving up, like spending time with her child.
*Saying no is so, so hard. Lisa is such a people pleaser.
*What kind of lessons did Lisa learn, and how does that translate into what she’s doing right now?
*It took Lisa around four to five years before she really began to invest in herself. She did not feel worthy enough at first.
*What does Lisa’s mindset practice look like?
*First impressions begin in as little as seven seconds and they can make or break a work relationship.
*Before you really meet someone, you need to be ‘on’ before you’re really ‘on.’ Lisa explains a bit more.
*It becomes a game changer when you learn how to decode other people’s body language.
*If you can make people seen, heard, and valued, you’re pretty much set!
You don’t have to be a superstar to make connections, you just have to know how to reach people.
Nagina is the Founder of MasalaBody.com, a blog and weight loss coaching program for females and entrepreneurs. She lost 40 pounds after having 2 kids while having a demanding corporate career. When friends started asking her how to lose weight, she launched her business to help other busy women take control of their body and weight. And made ZERO DOLLARS!
We chat about this epic fail and how it led to the creation of her flagship 8-week coaching program, Spice Yourself Skinny. Became focused on upleveling and was a passion inside of her. Researching and responding to her audience and list building have been huge successes for her! On the side, she is still holding her day job. She’s been featured on People.com, Insider, Fox News.
Key Insights & Aha Moments
* She was a management consultant for a Top 4 firm in NYC. Was her dream job!
* It was everything she imagined, but she decided she wanted something bigger with more flexibility that worked in her life. Her entrepreneurial dream was planted!
* She didn’t know how to dream bigger until she achieved the biggest dream she had for herself
* How did she begin the entrepreneurial path after realizing it was what she wanted?
* Nagina didn’t even realize it was beginning as it was going on!
* By losing weight through a purposeful plan after having her second child and it quickly became the topic of conversation around her
* She started documenting her recipes and would share with people around her. She soon realized she wanted to spread it out to more people
* Soon, she worked on starting a simple website and blog
* Nagina took a course on how to create an online business and found that instead of sharing recipes, she wanted to focus on helping people lose weight. She now had a result to focus on.
* Her first week she got 101 subscribers through her positioning
* She listened to what people wanted! She began by doing what she wanted to create, but learned the key was to listen to her audience.
* Read between the lines
* Do the research and get it right up front!
* Began building this business on the side as a mom of 2 with her demanding job
* Would spend every free second working on her online business. When she was flying for work, she was always working!
* She would take vacation time from her day job and just work from home on her new business
* Was able to push forward and build her business because she got so much energy from it
* Made $30K her first year on the side, while still working full-time
* Nagina doesn’t have any fancy certifications or degrees in this work. She found that when she actually accomplished the goals she set out for herself and her clients saw it, that’s what they were after.
* Lesson is you don’t need to spend tons of money getting certifications in things that ultimately won’t matter.
* Things have changed today. You don’t need to go through all of these hoops and have degrees. People will believe you if you can help them and prove it.
* By doing, that’s how you get better, you train yourself, and people can see the results
* Took her about a year to realize her business was growing and was scaleable and took a step back in her corporate career.
* She still holds that corporate job today but goal is to ultimately leave her day job
* Didn’t want to worry about money at this point and is now able to make the investments in her business that she wants to
* Transitioned to more group programs to scale easier
* At first, it totally bombed and she didn’t make a thing. But it taught her what to change and now it’s better than she could have imagined
* Spent 3 months reviewing things and having people involved in helping her to change things.
* Special gift for Making The Maven Listeners – she is going to share her 3 easy recipes to banish late night cravings
Focus on one thing at a time and get really good at it. This reminds me of a conversation I was having with one of my private clients. If you’re struggling with who you serve with your message and communicating what you do in a way that people aren’t taking action, the best thing is not to build an audience online. You need to work on practicing in the one-on-one environment. It gives you practice and become more smooth in your message. Communication is key for building a successful business! Shift your mindset, work locally and finesse that message and product!
Astrology is a great tool for self-awareness, personal growth and supporting our pathways to success.
Dr. Kelley Hunter is a longtime Depth Astrologer and Mythologist. Studies in psychology, cosmology, spirituality, and holistic consciousness, and over 1001 stargazing nights enrich her teachings and personal consultation work. She considers astrology to be a language of the soul that illumines our paths through life and connects us to the greater cosmic forces. Author of two books on LILITH, she also enjoys the creative arts, which led to her recent publication, Planetary Gods & Goddesses Coloring Book (for ages 7-adult). An international lecturer, she has served on the Board of the International Society of Astrological Research and writes for various professional journals. With a special interest in the Divine Feminine, she is also member of the Goddess Scholars Network.
Key Insights & Aha Moments
* Why does Kelley call her work Depth Astrology?
* What is astrology and what can it do for you and your business?
* She picked this date specifically for our podcast because it was the first day Mercury was turning forward instead of backwards!
* Those who know a little about astrology know about the Mercury retrograde. Happens for 3 weeks every 3-4 months.
* Mercury Retrograde can mess with business operations, so it’s important to know how this is fitting into everything!
* Launches during Mercury Retrograde? Not so much!
* Astrology is an observational and technological science that goes way back in all cultures. Not just a “cookie cutter” 12 sign astrology that you can look at in the newspaper for your sign
* How does the sky move and what happens in relationships within those seasonal cycles?
* Learned how to do the math early on how astrology worked, started doing individual’s charts and could start to see how relationships were moving according to people’s charts
* You are more than your Sun sign. Your birth chart is a map of the planetary patterns, the cosmic dance, when you were born — A LIFE MAP and LIVING MAP
* Astrology is an intuitive science. We have the science of astronomy data, but how to interpret it is the art. It’s like learning a language.
* Not all astrologers are good at communicating this to people. You need good counseling and listening skills, which is how Kelley learned
* Discussion on LILITH and how it has been a part of her life and business
* Suspicious on how powerful women can get negative reputations
* How can this be used in a greater way in your business?
* Know what your strengths are and what planets will guide you to your successes in life. What is the career area in your chart all about?
* Opening a new business between the new moon and full moon, energy is growing
* Also need to look at the chart of the business, not just of your career
* Where is the spot on our charts where we can find money, satisfaction and happiness in life?
* Talks about how much things have changed in this business and in astrology since she started in the 60’s and 70’s
* Developed specialties and is known for her publications on LILITH. Not much is written in English on that topic in astrology
* Make sure to check out her services, email list and webinars available on her website for more information on how to learn more
Something I want to encourage you to think about… you’re a business owner! No matter where you are when you’re going about your day and you always have an opportunity to share your message, results and outcomes for your clients. When you do that, there is a lot of opportunities you can uncover throughout your day.