I’ve learned so much about podcasting and myself over the last two years! And we’re almost to Episode 100! This week’s episode is going to focus on 7 things mavens do different to reach a new level of success in their wellness business. It’s inspired by all my interviews and mentors in my business, up to this point. What a milestone! I also have a big announcement for the podcast! Tune in! I’m going to blow your mind and take this podcast to the next level. And please make sure to check out all the valuable content over the last 99 episodes, and in the countless Maven Minis!
Key Insights & Aha Moments
* 7 things that mavens do different to really accelerate and reach the level of success in your business
* #7 – Leverage Your Strengths- don’t build a cookie-cutter business. Build one that suits your lifestyle and shines on your strengths. It makes it so much easier!
* Not familiar with your strengths? Take a strengths finder and reach out to those close to you.
* #6 – Listen to What Clients Want – focus and open your ears on what clients want, not what you want
* Give them what they want and tell them what they need
* #5 – Take Action Over Perfection – many of us have suffered from perfectionism, but it can freeze you. Stop preparing instead of getting paid!
* If you want success and see results, you need to let go of being perfect!
* #4 – Fail Fast-Forward – look at failure as a good thing. Everything is a risk and when you fail, you learn
* Everybody fails at some point in something. But it will get easier and easier.
* You will develop the muscles and tolerance for risk and you will be able to move and respond quicker to what is happening around you. Do something differently the next time
* #3 – Focus –Say yes to the things that will help you move your business forward more quickly, say no to everything else.
* #2 – Invest in Themselves – This can be so difficult for people!
* Whether it’s taking a course, finding a mentor, individualized coaching, it’s at the very top of what successful mavens are doing for themselves
* It can be uncomfortable and scary, but will come back to you in such a huge way, because it lives on.
* #1 – Work Constantly on Mindset
* The only way to get OUT of your way is to work on that mindset. Build those muscles!
* Looking at your personal relationships could be reflected in your business
This week’s guest did such a great job on list-building and focusing on her clients and talking about how to Build Your List the Right Way. I’ve talked about this before, I’d do this so differently if I was just starting out! I’d put much more emphasis on building that list! I just can’t impart this on you enough! It’s the place where you continue to build a relationship with your audience. It’s great to spend time on social media and hang out with your peeps. But what if that all changes tomorrow? If you have your list, you’re still able to interact with them and reach out!
If you’re out networking… that’s great! But how do you continue to cultivate that relatihsionship after time if you don’t have them in your list? You need to build that like and trust factor with after making that personal connection. The answer is in your list!
Build Your List the Right Way
Everybody needs to be focusing on networking and cultivating relationships. Money is in the list! Sell to your list by creating the content and offers they are asking about from you.
Believe it or not, when it comes to your list, size doesn’t matter! I’d rather you have a couple hundred people who are opening the emails and being engaged, than having a couple thousand who never open a thing. Don’t focus on the number of people you have, focus on engagement.
First goal is to get people to open that email! Test subject lines. Resend to people who didn’t open with different subject lines. They need to grab your audience!
Include a call to action in the P.S. area of your email and make sure you keep things casual and fun! Be you and be authentic!
You don’t have to be a superstar to make connections, you just have to know how to reach people.
Nagina is the Founder of MasalaBody.com, a blog and weight loss coaching program for females and entrepreneurs. She lost 40 pounds after having 2 kids while having a demanding corporate career. When friends started asking her how to lose weight, she launched her business to help other busy women take control of their body and weight. And made ZERO DOLLARS!
We chat about this epic fail and how it led to the creation of her flagship 8-week coaching program, Spice Yourself Skinny. Became focused on upleveling and was a passion inside of her. Researching and responding to her audience and list building have been huge successes for her! On the side, she is still holding her day job. She’s been featured on People.com, Insider, Fox News.
Key Insights & Aha Moments
* She was a management consultant for a Top 4 firm in NYC. Was her dream job!
* It was everything she imagined, but she decided she wanted something bigger with more flexibility that worked in her life. Her entrepreneurial dream was planted!
* She didn’t know how to dream bigger until she achieved the biggest dream she had for herself
* How did she begin the entrepreneurial path after realizing it was what she wanted?
* Nagina didn’t even realize it was beginning as it was going on!
* By losing weight through a purposeful plan after having her second child and it quickly became the topic of conversation around her
* She started documenting her recipes and would share with people around her. She soon realized she wanted to spread it out to more people
* Soon, she worked on starting a simple website and blog
* Nagina took a course on how to create an online business and found that instead of sharing recipes, she wanted to focus on helping people lose weight. She now had a result to focus on.
* Her first week she got 101 subscribers through her positioning
* She listened to what people wanted! She began by doing what she wanted to create, but learned the key was to listen to her audience.
* Read between the lines
* Do the research and get it right up front!
* Began building this business on the side as a mom of 2 with her demanding job
* Would spend every free second working on her online business. When she was flying for work, she was always working!
* She would take vacation time from her day job and just work from home on her new business
* Was able to push forward and build her business because she got so much energy from it
* Made $30K her first year on the side, while still working full-time
* Nagina doesn’t have any fancy certifications or degrees in this work. She found that when she actually accomplished the goals she set out for herself and her clients saw it, that’s what they were after.
* Lesson is you don’t need to spend tons of money getting certifications in things that ultimately won’t matter.
* Things have changed today. You don’t need to go through all of these hoops and have degrees. People will believe you if you can help them and prove it.
* By doing, that’s how you get better, you train yourself, and people can see the results
* Took her about a year to realize her business was growing and was scaleable and took a step back in her corporate career.
* She still holds that corporate job today but goal is to ultimately leave her day job
* Didn’t want to worry about money at this point and is now able to make the investments in her business that she wants to
* Transitioned to more group programs to scale easier
* At first, it totally bombed and she didn’t make a thing. But it taught her what to change and now it’s better than she could have imagined
* Spent 3 months reviewing things and having people involved in helping her to change things.
* Special gift for Making The Maven Listeners – she is going to share her 3 easy recipes to banish late night cravings
Focus on one thing at a time and get really good at it. This reminds me of a conversation I was having with one of my private clients. If you’re struggling with who you serve with your message and communicating what you do in a way that people aren’t taking action, the best thing is not to build an audience online. You need to work on practicing in the one-on-one environment. It gives you practice and become more smooth in your message. Communication is key for building a successful business! Shift your mindset, work locally and finesse that message and product!
Astrology is a great tool for self-awareness, personal growth and supporting our pathways to success.
Dr. Kelley Hunter is a longtime Depth Astrologer and Mythologist. Studies in psychology, cosmology, spirituality, and holistic consciousness, and over 1001 stargazing nights enrich her teachings and personal consultation work. She considers astrology to be a language of the soul that illumines our paths through life and connects us to the greater cosmic forces. Author of two books on LILITH, she also enjoys the creative arts, which led to her recent publication, Planetary Gods & Goddesses Coloring Book (for ages 7-adult). An international lecturer, she has served on the Board of the International Society of Astrological Research and writes for various professional journals. With a special interest in the Divine Feminine, she is also member of the Goddess Scholars Network.
Key Insights & Aha Moments
* Why does Kelley call her work Depth Astrology?
* What is astrology and what can it do for you and your business?
* She picked this date specifically for our podcast because it was the first day Mercury was turning forward instead of backwards!
* Those who know a little about astrology know about the Mercury retrograde. Happens for 3 weeks every 3-4 months.
* Mercury Retrograde can mess with business operations, so it’s important to know how this is fitting into everything!
* Launches during Mercury Retrograde? Not so much!
* Astrology is an observational and technological science that goes way back in all cultures. Not just a “cookie cutter” 12 sign astrology that you can look at in the newspaper for your sign
* How does the sky move and what happens in relationships within those seasonal cycles?
* Learned how to do the math early on how astrology worked, started doing individual’s charts and could start to see how relationships were moving according to people’s charts
* You are more than your Sun sign. Your birth chart is a map of the planetary patterns, the cosmic dance, when you were born — A LIFE MAP and LIVING MAP
* Astrology is an intuitive science. We have the science of astronomy data, but how to interpret it is the art. It’s like learning a language.
* Not all astrologers are good at communicating this to people. You need good counseling and listening skills, which is how Kelley learned
* Discussion on LILITH and how it has been a part of her life and business
* Suspicious on how powerful women can get negative reputations
* How can this be used in a greater way in your business?
* Know what your strengths are and what planets will guide you to your successes in life. What is the career area in your chart all about?
* Opening a new business between the new moon and full moon, energy is growing
* Also need to look at the chart of the business, not just of your career
* Where is the spot on our charts where we can find money, satisfaction and happiness in life?
* Talks about how much things have changed in this business and in astrology since she started in the 60’s and 70’s
* Developed specialties and is known for her publications on LILITH. Not much is written in English on that topic in astrology
* Make sure to check out her services, email list and webinars available on her website for more information on how to learn more
Something I want to encourage you to think about… you’re a business owner! No matter where you are when you’re going about your day and you always have an opportunity to share your message, results and outcomes for your clients. When you do that, there is a lot of opportunities you can uncover throughout your day.
When you’re looking how to change yourself to get that elusive promotion, it may be time to see what needs to be changed in your life instead.
Kathy comes in with such a great mix of knowledge in today’s podcast! She has paid her dues in the Corporate World for 20 years. She even earned her MBA, just to feel stagnated in lower management. After a life-changing realization struck her, though, she took matters into her own hands, quit that corporate job and life changed dramatically! Now she helps other entrepreneurs find the perfect fit for outsourcing work in their business to a Virtual Assistant, along with training and coaching VA’s to be the best that they can be! Learn all about what you should be looking for in your next VA hire today!
Key Insights & Aha Moments
* Many are curious about how to get more hours in their day, but there is a lack of knowledge in this topic in the wellness industry, and in many others!
* She started in Corporate America for almost 20 years, but just wasn’t getting promoted and stuck in middle management
* She thought about how she could change herself in order to get promoted, which caused a lot of self-doubt
* She realized she could be a business owner and make even more money than she thought, even though she was 45 years old at the time.
* Her boss and many people closest to her told her she was making the biggest mistake of her life when she quit her job, but soon was earning double what she was making in Corporate America
* Was terrifying, but was more terrified of living her life being miserably unhappy in the Corporate World.
* Now she teaches others on how to become a VA, trains and coaches in an all-inclusive program
* Dirty secret about the VA industry – the majority of VA’s don’t actually know what they’re doing!
* How do you know what VA you should steer clear of?
* You get what you pay for. Professional VA average rate is $45/hour. If you’re looking at cheap VA’s, there may be a reason why they are so cheap (don’t know what they’re really doing).
* You’re only paying for the work you need a VA to do, so while it seems like a lot, you only need to use them as needed or for special projects.
* Hire a VA before you really need them so you aren’t stuck when you actually need them. Make sure you talk with them about what they charge and how they invoice.
* VA should be providing an invoice, an onboarding process, etc. If they don’t have these systems in place, run!
* Make sure you have a cap in place so you have budget flexibility
* Kathy recommends a 15 minute productivity secret – a weekly, biweekly, or monthly phone call on the day you usually plan your week on a consistent, standing date where the VA runs the meeting
* The more hours you have the VA working for you, the more frequently you should be meeting
* She is offering a free service, 1-time opportunity to meet with her for a VA matchmaking session
* Will talk about skills you are looking for, what you’re struggling with, goals and what a VA may be able to do and will email you 1-3 options to interview to see what may fit best with you and your business
Even though it feels like it may be too soon, you always want to make sure you have someone under your umbrella before it’s too late! It will feel uncomfortable and it will feel like you’re not ready, but guess what?! You’re suddenly going to have more hours to do what you do best – coaching! And that, my friends, will bring in more money for you and your business.
Now, you may not always hire the right person the first time around but don’t let them scare you off from bringing someone in. I always recommend talking to 2-3 people before hiring your VA. You’ll see how is a great fit for you and who is not. Another thing my hubby and I noticed – if I talk about someone at home at the end of the day and it’s negative or a struggle and it happens more than 3 times, it’s probably time to let them go! Nip that problem in the butt!